We all know that yoga calms the mind, stretches the body, and feeds the soul. Yet there are some types of yoga that go a step further. Aerial yoga (or anti-gravity yoga) is one of them.
Here is how it works: you sit on a soft, hammock-like fabric that’s suspended in the air and you use the hammock as support while doing regular yoga moves or their aerial counterparts as well as pilates and acrobatics-inspired movements. Some refer to this exercise as a type of yoga while for others it’s a unique type of fitness that merges a variety of styles. Regardless of which category it falls under, it’s a rising trend in many parts of the world due to its benefits and the fact that it’s fun!
What can you expect to gain from aerial yoga?
- You get to fly, which is one of the reasons this exercise helps you release your inner child and de-stress. Plus, you release the happy hormones (like dopamine and serotonin) so you feel better not just during the workout but also throughout the day.
- Due to its anti-gravity component, you spend less energy while you flex more. You can also perform certain yoga postures with ease without straining your neck or back.
- It allows your spine to lengthen and helps heal back issues.
- It increases your strength, and improves your coordination, flexibility and balance.
- It’s a total body workout so you get to tone and refine all your muscles.
Not many yoga studios in Istanbul offer regular aerial yoga lessons but there are a few studios where you can practice it. Some yoga studios also hold aerial yoga workshops from time to time.
Studios offering regular aerial yoga lessons in Istanbul:
Yoga Fly Istanbul in Şişli
Nuyu Gym in Kuruçeşme