Pretty new on the health-conscious’ grocery list, chia seeds are rumored to be an ancient food revered by the Mayans, the Incas, and the Aztects for energy and strength. They are native to Central/South America and are known as salvia hispanica. So what can these tiny seeds do for you?
These gluten-free, raw, dairy-free, grain-free, nut-free seeds can provide you with many of the nutrients that your body needs. They are high in: fiber, antioxidants, protein, vitamin C, iron, calcium, potassium, and zinc. As a result of their amazing nutritional value, here is what they can do for you:
- They are a great source of omega-3, so they are great for your brain and heart.
- They are good for your digestive system.
- They are good for healthy skin, nails and hair.
- They help balance glucose levels.
- They support healthy bones.
Just add a spoonful to your yogurt or salad, and reap the benefits!