Eating healthy food, and more specifically giving up sugar, doesn’t equal lack of flavor or dullness in the kitchen, proven by this super easy and healthy banana bread that’s perfect as a snack or dessert.
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup honey or maple syrup
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large, very ripe bananas)
¼ cup milk of choice or water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius and grease a 23×13-cm loaf pan. (Alternatively, you can use muffin cups.)
- Beat the oil and the honey with a whisk in a large bowl. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon to the bowl, and whisk to blend.
- Stir in the flour using a big spoon. You may see some lumps, which are okay. Just make sure there is a nice and sticky consistency.
- Pour the batter into your loaf pan (and sprinkle lightly with extra cinnamon if you like).
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remember to let the bread cool for 10-15 minutes before transferring.
Note: If you want to add as much sweetness as possible to your bread, go for the maple syrup instead of the honey, and mix in some organic chocolate chips or raisins (after you’ve mixed in the flour).
Recipe from cookie + kate