Motivation is a key ingredient for most things in life. If we want to reach a goal, make a change, or achieve something, we (more often than not) need to keep at it on a daily basis. If it’s losing weight, we need to head to the gym on a regular basis and make sure we’re eating right. If we’re trying to turn a project from idea to reality, we need to be disciplined and work at it consistently. If we’re learning to love ourselves, we need to show tenderness and kindness to ourselves on a daily basis.
Most things in life aren’t achieved overnight. And maybe that’s the beauty of life. Maybe, as many gurus and spiritual leaders say, it’s the journey that counts, not the destination.
So what can we do to stay motivated on our journey, wherever it may lead?
- Make a decision. Do you really want to get where you want to go? If you do, decide for it and you’ll see that whatever comes your way will not bring you down.
- Keep your eye on the goal. Don’t let negativity or failure get you down. Let your mind’s eye stay on the intended end result.
- Recognize your triumphs. Make sure to appreciate yourself and acknowledge your small victories. That will give you the fuel you need to keep going.
- Find inspiration. Look for people who have achieved what you want to achieve and see them as a reminder that you too can do it.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Sometimes we get stuck and we need someone to shed light on our path.
- Don’t give up. Not each road you take will take you where you want to go. Just take a deep breath, then turn right or turn left. Whatever you do, find a way to go forward.
- Each failure hides a lesson. Learn it and use it when necessary.
- Give yourself permission to feel. You may have days when you feel angry or sad. Allow yourself to feel the emotions and but don’t get stuck in them. Move on.
- Always be kind to yourself. When life throws you down, don’t beat yourself up but pick yourself up.